May 31, 2014

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie


   Giclée print on archive paper © Sally Titterington 2014

Lorilie le Sade 

Sleeps on the train floor after an exhausting day running through fields of wheat and flowers.

Lorilie is a 'Galpos' Spanish hunting dog.  S
he was badly abused in Spain, as once the Galpos are finished hunting they are of no use and can experience cruelty, by being beaten and starved.  So, she has come to live in England and she is loved and cherished.  She is so sweet and gentle, and she is my mews.  She's got to know me and I love it when we meet she comes up to me and nudges my leg with her nose, in a way that's saying hello it's really good to see you, I like you.

Damson


Damson is her house sister, she's from an East End dog racers but she was not very good at racing, couldn't be bothered and was given away without being brutalised.  Damson is not the brightest button in the box however, she has a great sense of humor and if your jokes are good and entertaining she gets up on her hind legs and paws you.  It's almost like she's saying 'Oh say that again, I love that joke'.  She has thick grey fur that reminds me of a koala bear's coat and when she eats she shows her true racing skills, she really does wolf it up.



Giclée print on archive paper © Sally Titterington 2014


I sketched her on a gridded sketch pad paper and scanned the image in.  I spent hours in photoshop removing each line and square but quite liked just a few remaining on her face and neck.  My friend who owns her and Lorilie was concerned as it looks like a muzzle and she reminded me of the cruelty the dogs can endure.

Lorilie le Sade and Damson sleeping on the train floor after an exhausting day running through fields of wheat and flowers.